Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Blog 11: Mentorship 10 Hours Check

1.  I am mentoring at the Oak Crest Institute of Science in Pasadena.

2. Manjula Gunawardana, my mentor

3. I have completed 30 hours of mentorship.

4. Mentorship always holds surprises for me.  I began with culturing shrimp with an undergrad who interned over the summer.  From there, I received the opportunity to extract the RNA from my very own cheek cells, converting it to cDNA (otherwise known as ssDNA (single-stranded)) afterwards.  Next came OD readings and DNA extraction from yeast, preparing samples for electron microscopy and operating an ultramicrotome, autoclaving trash, coating pods, and, finally, witnessing a fellow aspiring scientist pipette for the first time.  There was also SCCUR and the thrill of presenting an exciting shrimp bioassay on potentially pharmaceutical plant extracts.  We'll see what 2014 at Oak Crest holds.

5. I will do that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment