Saturday, May 31, 2014

One day more...

...until the the first day of the last week of school (whether you consider that as being Sunday or Monday depends on what you consider "one day" being taking into account the time I posted this as well as what you consider to be the first day of each week - so that is open to interpretation).

I am right now sitting at the dining room table, drinking cinnamon coffee and listening to jazz, ruminating these last four years.  The slope of a line can be begotten by this formula:


Pretty much, the difference between the first point and last point.  This formula could be applied to my high school experience.  I can look at how I began - on that first day of school - and compare it to how I am now and find the slope of my growth.  It is most definitely a positive slope.

That was a less illustrative analogy that I hoped for it to be.  

Okay, to get the point - that I've grown a lot and thank iPoly for a great many things - across, I will define the first point and the last point.

First Point (first day of school):

I was distrustful of people my age, believing them to be foul-mouthed, sneaky creatures.  Around the end of first semester, I was determined to be a Loner, thus preserving my innocence and calm of mind.  My self esteem was a bit low and ordering things on my own usually proved to be an ordeal.  Those cashiers, man - fierce and demonic organisms.  Social gatherings and generally mixing with people I didn't know were uncomfortable necessities to me.  I was pretty set on physical therapy or naturopathy as the make-up of my future.  There's this college in Florida that has a naturopathy major.  UCLA is ideal, though.  I mean, it's UCLA.      

Ah, Passport Approved...

Last Point:

People my age are foul-mouthed, sneaky creatures - and that's okay!  It adds zest to the goings on of my everyday.  iPoly has taught me to deal with stress by having a sense of humor.  That nearly-all-nighter during Passport Approved was pretty funny, come to think of it.  Whenever I look back on it, I always laugh.  :)  I've come to realize that cashiers are humans like me and are there to make money and, some, to get a promotion.  They are not out to sabotage me!  Meeting new people is fun, but hanging out with any group of people from this Class of 2014 is always funner.  Academic shtuff is still a joy to me - but I'm not so sure what I will focus on.  I like my humanities - morals, literature, organizational goodness - as well as STEM - molecular biology, ecology, marine biology, physics, nano tech, green chemistry, engineering, maths.  I shall be going to Pomona College - chirp chirp - which I feel is way better than UCLA. X)  I now know how to appreciate a research paper, make an effective pie chart, organize a research presentation poster, use a micropipette, "network", shake hands properly, use Pixlr, fold a tri-fold brochure, play badminton, use a piƱata as a presentation board, among other excellent things.  Risks are many times fruitful, and every experience is an opportunity.  Thanks iPoly.   

Behold, a delicious pie chart.
This post has a lots of "I" in it, which makes me uncomfortable.  That's okay, though.  This is blog is about me anyway, right?  I mean, it's called "vmachucan..."... (whoa, double ellipses).  Am I sad to see my four years come to an "end"?  YES.  I try not to be, telling myself that there is no "end", just a continuation, that many of my friends are staying in the area.  I won't see them as often, though, and some are going out of state!  But hey, we'll stay in touch, and I know I'll be coming back to iPoly.

Where am I now?

I've ended my mentorship, but Manji made me promise that I'd stay in touch with and update him on any significant developments.  I may start doing research at Pomona over the summer - perhaps on nano materials.  I'll find out if I've been accepted to the program this Monday.  I could have chosen a research project that mirrors my senior project - with Crane, on carbonoclastic anaerobes - but thought I'd choose something fresh and relevant to my blooming interest in the nano world.  At Pomona, I hope to hone my chess skills and maybe get into fencing, volunteer at the organic garden, do as much research as early on as possible, join the anti-fracking campaign, work on establishing a stronger connection between Pomona and iPoly, among other things.  In particular, I'll look into connecting the chess clubs, diversity efforts, and physics goodness at both schools.  Hopefully these efforts will bear fruit.   

So, I'm not saying "goodbye" to iPoly.  Rather, I'm saying "see you soon".  

This post is too sad - so here's a photo of my amazing dog and good friend: Kaia.
      

2 comments:

  1. Update: I did some succulent research in the Johal Lab over that summer with a bunch of really beautiful people, and returned this summer for another round of magic and learning. I also joined the anti-fracking campaign and have a plot on The Farm. Er, did't join the chess club. Honestly, I don't really like chess. I know how to play cribbage now, thought! Huzzah. The one time I connected to iPoly was to encourage teachers to encourage students to fight the fracking giants in Whittier Hills (lots of encouragement goin' on). That was cool. Seems big schools are rolling into iPoly - and Pomona is a classroom name!
    So yeah, life is good, man. This coming semester, I am taking physics, o-chem, vector calculus, a science and pseudoscience class, a half-credit writing class. I shall be a writing fellow (*heavy breathing*) and work on two research projects - succulent solar cells/writing a paper on what I did this summer and this cool combinatorics thing. I will also continue being a member of CCJ and the Native Habitat and Community Club (putting on a super fresh healing week soon! oh yeah), the Food Science Club, the 5C Birding Club, and PSM.
    Am I scared?
    Yeah.
    Am I excited?
    Yeah.
    Am I ready to grab my happiness by the horns and stay on as often as I can?
    Hell yeah. I'm sick of being sad.
    Sophomore year, I'm ready for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update: This past semester was TOUGH. Not much went as planned. Yet another exercise in failure, I'd say. Knowing what perceived failure (AKA, things not going as planned, giving up, etc.) feels like is valuable, but I'm tired of experiencing it over and over again.
    That said, this past summer was AMAZING. Research was fun, cooking with friends every day was fresh, going to the farm every week was grounding - the hiking, the long conversations, the weather, the orange tree outside of my room. Magical. And I have taken actions to improving myself during break - reflection, talk, writing, reading, all that good stuff.
    Oh hey, I'm a math major now! Working on REU apps. I'm liking UWB, MSRI, and MTBI. I shall be taking OR, Probability, BIO41E, and history this semester. I will also be participating in a combo research circle, working as a writing fellow (love that job) for MAT101, and helping out with Healing Week (getting the 5C writing centers all on board! super exciting).
    What matters is family, Vanessa. Find satisfaction in your relationships. Yes, death is scary, but you must brush this fear aside to move on. Perfect the art of distraction - until living isn't a distraction anymore, but who you are. Embody ACCEPTANCE, and recognize the size of your sphere of influence. You're not going to stop violence in a another country, but you can do your part locally. God, and look at the beauty around you! This world is a mysterious place. There is inspiration wherever you step, you just need to open your eyes and notice it. And remember, THIS TOO SHALL PASS.
    Am I scared?
    Hell yeah.
    Am I excited?
    Sort of.
    Am I ready to grab my happiness by the horns and stay on as often as I can?
    YES.
    Here's to a new year, but my continual development as a human being.
    Sophomore year, you've been kind of rude, but I forgive you. Let's end strong.

    ReplyDelete